Monday, May 11, 2009

Artist Statement

In my portfolio, you will find a lot of growth in my camera and artistic skills. I have grown a lot from learning compositional tricks to taking images in my mind and making them visible on Photoshop. My camera knowledge has drastically increased this year and I can see that in my portfolio. My art vocabulary has expanded as well as you can tell in my statements below every picture. My digital photo portfolio grew over time as I learned more and more about how to use the tools more accurately.
I feel very impressed with my portfolio. I would have to say from not knowing much about the camera and nothing at all about Photoshop, I have grown a lot this year. My mind has opened up to another side of the art world. It feels like I’ve been in one city of art and taking this class has showed me a whole new one. I never really took photography as art I used to think it was just taking picture and putting them everywhere, but I know now that it’s a lot more challenging then that. Its just as challenging as drawing and painting. I liked my surrealism project the most. I like to look at this project the most because in my opinion this photo shows the most growth I’ve had in Photoshop. I feel most successful with learning the tools and ways to use Photoshop. Photoshop is just as difficult as any other medium and actually makes you think in the process. So at first this was challenging and I didn’t know how I was going to get it, but as I kept going at it I learned and now its simple.
I struggled with learning the tools and functions on the camera. The names were very confusing and I first thought I wasn’t going to get it. But luckily enough, I had a great teacher that made everything a lot easier to understand. So, by having that I was able to learn a lot more and use more with the camera. I don’t really use “Auto” on a camera anymore I always turn it to “Program” or in some cases ill use “Aperture” or “Shutter Speed”. I like to set everything to look nice myself just so I make sure that the camera doesn’t set it on a bad setting when I could have had a better one on program.
All in all, I have improved in my camera and Photoshop skills tremendously. I have learned more in this Subject then I have in any other subject this year. I’m glad I was able to learn more about photographs and take them myself. My influences would have to be other artists. I would see when they produced in the process and I would want to do similar projects to put out there that I can do it too. This was a great year for me, I had a lot of growth and my mind has opened up, which opened a whole lot more of opportunities.

1 comment:

Miss Cook said...

Excellent portfolio Ernie. Well done. It makes me happy to know that you did learn some stuff in class this year. I really appreciate your effort, your attention to detail, and the expression you put down in each of your projects. Your work ethic tells me you will be successful at whatever you decide to do in this life- and hopefully i'll get to see more of your Art. Good luck!